It doesn’t take a genius to know that showers and tubs are the most frequently used bathroom installations. Minor issues in the aforementioned can be dealt with using a little bit of DIY tips and tricks. However, for the ones more complex in nature, you’ll require help from a professional plumber who knows the workings. In case you’re looking a reliable plumbing service in Edinburgh, feel free to contact us.
Today, we’ll go over the main parts of both the showers and the tubs so you know how it works and could figure out just where the issue is;
- Shower Head– Shower heads are a little complex to work with and any breakage or damage requires help from a professional because they are directly connected to the water pipes through a hose. But worry not because replacing/fixing them doesn’t take much effort and should be done in no time.
- Shower Valve– These help control the flow of water that comes down the shower head along with the temperature of the water. Shower valves can jam over time and also leak in some situations; it is not always possible to fix them with DIYs which is why we recommend you have them replaced if found faulty.
- Hot and Cold Water Pipes– The shower’s water supply is dealt with using pipes which are connected directly to the shower head. Usually low water pressure is an issue with the pipes and can be caused due to a sediment build up. You can easily deal with this using vinegar to get rid of the sediments or have the pipes replaced all together.
- Shower Cartridge– The shower cartridge is a bit more complex than the other parts as it not only controls the water temperature but also the volume of the flow. Extreme temperatures of cold/hot water often lead to the cartridge breaking down, which calls for a replacement all together.
- Shower Pan– The part/area we stand on while taking a shower is referred to as a shower pan. A leakage in the shower pan could possible end up damaging the floor underneath, so make sure to take care of it and incase you notice such a leak, call a professional plumber immediately.
Talking about bathtubs, they are not as simple as they may seem. There is usually an issue to accessibility when it comes to bathtub plumbing as most parts are hidden inside a wall or under the floor. Lets go over the major parts included in bathtub plumbing –
- Bathtub Faucet–There are a variety of bathtub faucets you can choose from. All of them are operated differently and are to be maintained in their own manner. Faucet is the main device that handles the water flow in your sink. Even a slight leak in the faucet or low water pressure calls for a repair. If the issue is not very complex, you can easily repair a faucet on your own with the required tools. But if you cannot do it on your own, call out for professional help. In some cases, the faucets might also need to be replaced if worn out/too old.
- Bathroom Spouts– Spouts help in controlling the water flow and are very easily installed. Even if you have never done plumbing before, repairing or replacing a spout is not a difficult task at all. The need for repair/replacement arises if the spouts wear out, spout threads crack/corrode, or it’s finish starts corroding. This can lead to either a leakage or even a drip inside the walls. Immediate replacement is suggested.
- Bathtub Drains – A bathtub drain helps in draining out all the water and soap left after you take a shower. At times, these drains tend to clog due to knots of hair, soap, etc. and the water starts collecting in the bathtub instead of draining out. In such a case, you can use a DIY method and unclog the drain by using a drain claw, drain chemicals, plunger, pouring down baking soda, etc. If the drain still does not unclog, call out for an expert.
Now that you know of all the main parts involved in your shower and tub, You can be a smart consumer and know whats wrong is being caused by what part and possibly narrow down to the solution.